Thursday, March 5, 2009

I have been thinking long and hard about this subject. I think I have come to the conclusion that I can no longer support the Phoenix Coyotes. I am usually all about supporting the local teams, even for sports I am not all that into. When I lived in Wisconsin and the Packers went to the Super Bowl, I cheered for them. Now that I live here, I cheered for the Cardinals in the Super Bowl. I can no longer support the Phoenix Coyotes.

I have previously changed loyalties for teams before. It’s not something I do willy-nilly but if I believe strongly enough about something, I will do what I need to do. When the Suns lost Barkley I was devastated but they went out and got an excellent replacement in Jason Kidd, so I survived (similar to Coyotes trading Ballard) but when the Suns traded Kidd and got nothing in return, I followed Kidd and became a NJ Nets fan. It wasn’t an easy decision and I struggled with it but I felt the Suns were making a huge mistake. Turns out they sucked for awhile (seasons) before they finally got Steve Nash back and a few other players. I understood why the Suns did it but it didn’t mean I agreed with it or liked it.

I have lived here for three years and figured I have spent about $3,000 on Coyotes tickets, merchandise and food/drink at the arena. For me, that is a lot of money that could have been used elsewhere or saved. I could have used that money to make a larger down payment on my house. I could have bought like 6 large (or 30 small) Coach bags. I could have bought shoes, lots and lots of shoes! I could have went out to eat more, went to concerts. The possibilities are endless! I could have bought more airfare. I could have traveled and went to the other 29 NHL arenas.

Every year we have been told that the team would get better and they would be working toward the playoffs. And every year the team has fallen apart at the end of the season and traded off all kinds of players.

I had hoped that when Maloney was hired that this pattern would end and the team would start to improve. I now see that Maloney is just another pawn for Gretzky or a FOG. He has no say in what happens with the team. Maybe Gretzky should become General Manager and hire a real coach. That might actually improve the team.

I guess I am just sick of being lied to, especially when it comes to a large part of my budget. Other people may be brainwashed by what Maloney and Gretzky tell them, but not me.

Until they get a real coach, the Coyotes will continue on this cycle. Yes the new guys may do well when they first get here but eventually they will go the way of everyone else. Their production will suffer, the staff will turn on them and the Coyotes will trade them off only to see them vastly improve on another team.
******
I found this quote when I was looking at the preview for the Calgary at Philly game tonight:

"The season is going to start again," Jokinen told the Flames' official Web site. "Going to a place where there are high expectations and the people expect a 'W' every night, that's what you want."

From:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2008020957

I knew there was a reason I didn’t like him, besides the Ballard trade. I hope that wasn’t directed at the fans because we did want them to win every night. If it is directed at his former teammates or Coaches, it just shows what kind of guy he is, classless.
******
I have decided I am going back to my former team, the Flyers. It’s not just because of Carcillo either. I have always liked their style of play, brash, physical and not afraid to hit. That is the best way to play. The Coyotes always played their best games (and won) when they followed that style.

It will be a lot harder for me to follow them though. I don’t get Center Ice. I will have to rely on print media and hopefully some time on NBC or the NHL Network. Hopefully I can also focus more on Ballard and the Panthers. I’d also like to see more of the Preds and Sabres.

I am not sure if I will continue this blog. We will have to see what happens.

No comments: