Sunday, February 22, 2009

Two wins in a row. I am in awe. With the win over the Kings, we have moved back into the playoff race. We still have a long way to go but these last two games have given us hope. The players are back to playing how they were before the ASG break.

The line of Carcillo-Jokinen-Goertzen has been fantabulous. It has made Jokinen wake up. He got a hat trick against the Kings. I think it’s because he is playing with the two toughest guys and that way he doesn’t need to challenge anyone.

David Hale started off the scoring. Yes you read that right…David Hale. He never had an NHL goal until joining the Coyotes and now he has three. If only he was a better defensemen because apparently we have sparked his offensive side. I mean, he tries really hard and we love him for it but he just doesn’t seem to quite have it.

Overall, it was a very solid effort by the Coyotes. The Kings did attempt some come backs but we were able to hold them off. The final score was 6-3. I can’t tell you how good that felt to get two wins in a row.

My goalie, Jon Quick, was in net for the Kings. I really do like him as a goalie. He has really good movement. He is still young and learning but I can see him going far in the NHL. I had a hard time not cheering for him when he made some amazing saves. He was by far the better goalie on the ice. Bryz just looked uninterested and didn’t challenge the Kings.
******
In other news, the Sundogs wore black and Coyote red unis yesterday. They were designed to resemble the Coyotes third unis and they do. They look very sharp. They have the Sundogs “S” instead of the flying ferret on it. I like it. I think they should think of making that a permanent part of their team. Oh well, at least they are auctioning them off for charity.
******
Last night I went to the RoadRunners game. Ashton Rome was back from the AHL and ready to reek some havoc on the Alaska Aces. The RoadRunners won 5-2. It was a great game.

Rome actually got popped by an Ace while celebrating a goal. Talk about a cheap shot! Goalie Kyle Jones really stepped up since Kowalski was loaned out to Norfolk Admirals of the AHL.

There must have been a lot of tension between these two teams as it was a very physical game and the Aces were always doing things after the whistle. We got a nice little line brawl going, sending 3 Aces and 2 RoadRunners to the sin bin. Sisca (I love this kid, he’s listed at 5’9 and is just so feisty!) got 2 min for roughing and Crowley (love him too!) got 5 for fighting. Everyone on the ice was involved. I even thought the goalie might get into it but unfortunately he didn’t.

The best part was the Aces’ jerseys. They had sponsors. On their butts. It was hilarious. We were joking about calling up and asking how much it would cost to get our names on their butts. Classic.
******
I won’t see a home game until March 14. OMG. That is such a long time for me. I will miss the home game on 2/28 against the Blues. I will be living it up in Washington DC for the Panthers at Caps game.

Anyway, I digress. The next game is Tuesday night at St. Louis Blues. The boys need to keep working hard and not sit back. Every game is going to be a challenge from here on out. We need all the points we can get now, if we still want to make the playoffs. We can’t depend on the other teams in the race losing. We need to win. We need to play hard.

I will probably miss the first period. The game starts at 6:30, AZ time. I am going to go to the gym after work and won’t get home until about 7, unless I can get of work earlier but I doubt it.
Until then… Enjoy the rest of this beautiful Sunday!!

No comments: